Top 5 All-Time Favorite Hymns


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



If not for Frontliners, I’ll be a regular at the 1730 service. Here are my Top 5 all-time favorite hymns:

1. How Great Thou Art
When you listen to hymns like this, you wonder what all the fuss to do with contemporary Christian music is about. I like the Elvis Presley rendition best. According to the BBC music magazine, HGTA tops a poll as the UK’s favorite hymn. The Chinese version is not bad too.
O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder

Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed:

2. When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
I believe this hymn comes in several versions. It seems that the original lyrics penned by Isaac Watts in 1707 does not include a chorus. In my opinion, the chorus is an excellent addition.
See from His head, His hands, His feet,

Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

3. Be Thou My Vision
Go check out the Jars of Clay rendition.
Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,

Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art

4. Because He Lives
I had not sung or heard this song for a long time, approximately 9 years, after the first church I attended closed down. Strangely, the tune of the chorus came back to me when I was retaking the SAT II Subject tests.
And then one day, I'll cross the river,

I'll fight life's final war with pain;
And then, as death gives way to vict'ry,
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know He lives!

5. A tie between Great is Thy Faithfulness, And Can it Be That I Should Gain and O Come, O Come Emmanuel.
GITF will be at No.5 its own if not for how the chorus jars against the stanzas.
Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,

Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.


0 Responses to “Top 5 All-Time Favorite Hymns”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3