Farewell


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Later today, I will be leaving for the United States to begin my tertiary studies at Carnegie Mellon University. I intend to pursue a course in economics, and perhaps (hopefully) another major in computational finance or businesses administration.

I leave our island home with a spirit of thanksgiving and a heavy heart.

A heavy heart because it will be a long long time before I see Singapore again. And a spirit of thanksgiving because, despite all her ‘warts and blemishes’, this place has been my home for the past 21 years; it has given me my friends, as well as the memories and experiences that has shaped me as a person. This is home, truly.

I have never thought it’ll be this hard. I traveled alone to Europe and Australia when I was 18. A tertiary education abroad has always been what I want for myself and what my parents want for me. I thought I have been well-conditioned for this. When a friend of mine was leaving to further her studies, I lamely tried to comfort her by telling her how our planet is shrinking because of globalization and information technology.

In the past few weeks, the everyday has become less commonplace. Even laying the table for my mum is no longer the chore that it once was. There is a tinge of sadness to it; actually, more than a tinge. I will miss her, this home that she has single-handedly sustained and the way things are. Help me pray for her, that she will come to know the loving God and that, despite the distance between us, we can be joined in obedience to Him.

Leaving is hardest because of all the friendships God has blessed me with and because the memories that we shared are so sweet. All these memories are part of me now. I will always remember going to school with you and skipping lectures together; going through BPCC as your course-mate and slacking away in our bunk; being your CG mate and going for lunch with you after 1030am service. I will remember how you laugh at the way I play pool and giggle at the way I make a speech, and I will also remember laughing at how terrified you got during that horror movie. I will never forget driving you all over Singapore and you driving me to Church every Sunday morning. I will remember you laughing at how much I enjoy strange seafood and how I think of myself as the Pope.

If the customs authorities allow, I will ziplock each and everyone one of you, squeeze you into my baggage and bring you along with me to Pennsylvania. Keep your blogs updated. Keep in touch via email, msn and skype.

I love all of you and will miss all of you.


Robin


0 Responses to “Farewell”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3