National Day


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



National Day is a public holiday; you don’t have to pay to use public car-parks.

Went to Peninsular Plaza with my mum in the morning to get a new camera. We managed to get one that is very operational at quite a huge discount (more than a hundred dollars off the usual retail price), but since we seldom have to spend on electronics I came out from the store feeling a little kek-sim and a little chek-ak. My mum got paranoid after the camera I brought along for my exchange turned out strange pictures and she has been insisting on me getting a new one before I leave for the States. My current Akira camera is a showroom set which I got for free. Even though it periodically loses some of its functions, I don’t mind it too much. Most of the functions usually work after I switch the camera on and off a couple of times. And although I sometimes have to do a lot of adjustments just to take a picture, I like playing with the many functions.

On our way back to the car-park, we passed by the stamp museum. The colonial postbox outside the museum caught my mum’s eye and we went in to take a look. Found out that museum admission is free because it’s National Day, and since parking is also free, we toured the place a little more. Wanted to visit the Freemason Lodge and the National Archives (free exhibition), unfortunately, the former is restricted to members and the latter is closed on public holidays.
Took a swing to the National Museum. The place is still under renovation but there is one ongoing exhibition, ‘Stylo Mylo: A Selection of Men’s Fashion in Singapore’, and admission is free. I found the exhibits rather gaudy and hideous, but I like what they have been doing to revamp the place. The new coat of white and grey is a refreshing facelift, and the glass and marble integrates the old façade with the newer extensions. The architecture is grand but not imposing, stately but not inhibiting. I find it very sleek.

In some sense, items 8 and 10 on my list are checked.

Thanks to free parking, this morning had truly been Uniquely Singapore.


0 Responses to “National Day”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3